Thursday, August 18, 2011

The metaphor of body parts

Lately, I haven't been posting because I have been reading my last two posts and thinking "Man, this sucks". I figured I was going to have to stop posting for good because I was out of ideas. However, I'm stopping the hiatus and starting up again.
A friend of my brother's mom broke her ankle. The same thing happened to my toe last winter and my dad's ankle this spring. And I can tell you for sure, when my toe was broken, my thoughts were most definently not "I sure am glad my arm is okay". And a few years back when I broke my arm I wasn't thinking "At least nothing is wrong with my toe".
They explain all this in a bible verse that goes something like (Quote approximated) "A body needs all pars to function. If all parts were eyes, they couldn't hear and if all parts were ears, were would you see? So eyes must not say 'I am not an ear, so I am not needed' and ears must not say 'I am not an eye, so I am to needed" When one part is hurting, all hurt, and when one part is rejoicing, all rejoice. That is how it must be with the church".
 That was a speech by Jesus, or at least a part of it.
I can see where he's going with it. It works with families and communities, if someone is hurting, others focus on the hurting one. In short they take the others for granted. But still Jesus doesn't scold us for taking them for granted. He says that all of us are useful and all of us matter. Take into account that if Jesus came for all of us (Which his teachings make pretty clear that he did) then imagine all 6.6 billion of us. Assuming Jesus is speaking to all people (Including people of the future) then that means that we should fell everyones pain. That seems pretty hard considering that every few seconds someone dies.
To me, once I think about it, it seems almost like a challenge. Make the population of the world so every time someone hurts someone, not everyone but someone, hurts with them. And every time someone celebrates, someone must celebrate with them. And if no one had to mourn or celebrate alone, then the world would be a much better place.
I know, he said he was referring to the church. But many of the things Jesus said about the church can apply very well to the entire population.

No comments:

Post a Comment