Sunday, June 12, 2011

Gender Steryotypes

We had a party for the last day of school, and I was going down the stairs to the bus when I saw two girls hugging each other. At first I thought that they were hugging each other to say good-bye for the summer or they were lesbians (Which I do not disapprove of, for new readers). Then I saw that one of the girls was crying. I opened my mouth to say something, possibly ask what was wrong or try to comfort the crying girl, then I realized a simple truth. I was a guy. Guys are not supposed to care about people who prominently show emotion. I know it's weird, but I also know that people of both genders think you odd if you show a trait of the opposite gender.
So I ran as fast as I could down the cement stair case, hoping I wouldn't slip and possibly severely injure myself.  
Looking back on it, it seemed stupid and cruel, running away when I saw someone displaying emotion. It probably made her feel even worse about herself that someone would run away when they saw her crying. 
Like I said, running away was stupid, but it would I was afraid it would be awkward, asking a girl I didn't know well what was wrong. So should I have done what was natural and talk to her, or do what was supposed to be natural and run. In my opinion, gender stereotypes don't enhance our lives, only limit them. And social scientists have found that most of the gender differences are learned by society, rather than inherited. 
If it weren't for gender stereotypes, life would be a lot easier. 

2 comments:

  1. You should have said something!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a sensitive heart that transcends all gender stereotypes. I believe it is a gift from God.

    ReplyDelete