Wednesday, June 29, 2011

I'm back

Camp kind of left me worn out, but with only 2 days left of camp, I think I can blog. I posted a while back about being inclusive about gays and lesbians. I have known for a while that being mean to them is very bad and has lead to many suicides. And I thought I was above thinking it weird.
That all changed when I started reading When you are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris. It is a hilarious book, though very vulgar, but the thing that really struck me was when he talked about his husband.
At first I thought it was a girl named David (I know a boy named Erin), but when he straight out said he was a homosexual, despite my better reasoning, I felt like it was a bit weird. I hope that know gay, lesbian, or  transgender readers are offended by this, but I felt it was a bit unnatural for a male to be referring to his husband.
It kind of makes me wonder why people would actively tease and harass people of different sexual orientation. Sure, I felt like it was a bit weird hearing about David Sedaris's husband, but I wouldn't actively be mean to him . I guess there are some people that, when they find something distasteful, they try to weed it out, even if the distasteful thing is a harmless human trait. And actually, the only reason I found his homosexuality weird was because it was the first time I had actually heard being gay referred to casually. If I talked to someone who was Lesbian, Gay, or Transgender on a regular basis, I would probably find it normal.  

No comments:

Post a Comment