Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Getting better

I have a very good book called "Pick me up". It has a lot of stuff you never knew, never wanted to know, but are glad to know anyway. One of the sections is on philosophical questions. They were the usual ones like "What is the meaning of life" (Which they didn't answer, only gave opinions about), but one in particular caught my attention. "Is the world getting better".
Apparently, the idea that the world was getting better was originally thought of by ancient greek philosophers. They thought that which each generation life would get better, but we would never reach a perfect world. I like that idea, and if you look at things, in a way it is coming true. Only half a decade ago (Which is a very short amount of time, relative to the entire history of the world) telephone was the best to communicate. Now we have facebook, skype, cellphones, email, and countless more communication forms. 
But  some people say the opposite, and they have a point too. In the coming years there is expected to be overpopulation, water and food shortages,  extreme global warming, and much more. So which one is right?
I asked my brother about this while my dad was in the front seat, rocking out to coldplay. Here is what he said.
"The world isn't black and white like that. I think that it is very uneven, the way that the world changes. For example, Albert Einstein made discoveries leading to nuclear power, which is a good thing (Unless there is a crisis like in Japan). But that discovery led to the atomic bomb, capable of incredible destruction, which is obviously a bad thing. Einstein didn't want the destruction of countless people like that, but he accidently got it. It's is uneven".
That is what I think too. I don't think the world will lie in ruins and starvation, but I also don't think everything will be great. Like my brother said, it's uneven.
   

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you and your brother are really smart. Did you Dad make any comment? Or did he continue to rock out to Cold Play?

    ReplyDelete