Thursday, June 30, 2011

Clutays

Or however you spell that word. It sounds like clu-shays. I think it means something, mainly an idea, that is overused. It is a bit of a cycle. A clutay is used over and over until it is so overused that is is funny, then a new idea is invented, which in itself may soon become a clutay.
I don't think that many people stop and think about the original idea. Sure, some of them might seem a bit stupid, but some of them are legitiment ideas. You don;t want to go around saying "I came up with the phrase world peace" or "I invented the idea of the tractor beam" because both of those are overused. But they both represent something that would seem interesting, had we heard so much about it (Sure, the idea of world peace carries a lot more meaning, but both of them seem out of reach for the near future unless major changes are made).
I wonder how I would feel if I made up a clutay. My idea used and reused until no meaning remained and it was almost a joke.

1 comment:

  1. I think you are thinking of the word "cliche," which is pronounced "Klee-shay." You are using it exactly right!

    ReplyDelete