Sunday, July 3, 2011

Proteges

Proteges. I've dealt with quite a few of them. There isn't anything wrong with them, in fact, there being something unusually right about them is what defines them as a protege. Being able to do advanced algebra at age eleven, write thousands of lines of code, read a 400 page book in two days, and so on. They are, in my mind the ones that will succeed in life, but then again, maybe not.
I read somewhere that there was an extremely smart person, but he had no social skills and ultimently failed. I'm sorry that that was so vague, but as you are reading this likely you have a story of your own that fits in with this.
But people with all social skills don't get all that far either. I can sure think of a lot of people like that. Someone that has something about them, some charisma, that make you want to follow them. I'm not saying all people with a lot of social skills are like this, but I know some people with a social spark so intoxicating, that they could tell you something so stupid that it's laughable... and you will still want to believe that because of the way they say it.
You need a combination to succeed. I know it seems unprofessional to quote a children's book (Then again, I'm not a professional) but as Theodore Geizel (Or Dr. Suess) said "Life is a great balancing act" and I have to believe it.
The greeks believed in something called the golden ratio, which basically says that you are happiest when youare in the middle of the spectrum, which is basically my point. Truly successful, happy people are both talented and social. Of course there are exceptions, but that is basically how it works.

1 comment:

  1. I think you mean prodigies, not proteges. Quit confusing America's youth!

    ReplyDelete