Friday, July 29, 2011

Stories

Sorry about my extended break from blogging, and unfortunately it will be continued for another week or so. My cousins are coming (Leaving little to no time for blogging) and then we are heading to canada for a trip to our cabin.
One thing I have observed is that lots of time when there is a really good book/movie/tv show or any other kind of story, the people that like it most seem to have a habit of trying to rewrite, extend, or otherwise change the story. I have a theory that is probably completely false and can be easily disproved by anyone with the vaguest of vague understanding of the human mind.
Basically, we all have a story held somewhere with in our subconscious, which is something like our life with more of whatever genre we like in it. We can try,but we can never get the whole thing. Whenever a story gets close, we get excited and try to alter it to be more like our own story. We switch the protagonist with ourselves, the  antagonist with someone we hate, and the supporting characters with our closest friends. Then when someone tries to read it and doesn't like it, because they have a different story, and theirs has different protagonists, antagonists, and supporting characters. It is an odd mixture of two people's ideas. This makes sense with movies that were based off of books, because it is a fan of the books changing everything. That is why a movie close to the books works. Often when someone it my class says they wrote it a story, it is another story changed to their needs.
I have often tried to write down my story, but to no avail. My life keeps changing, and my story along with it. Before I can get down a hundred pages the story I want to write has been washed away from my memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment