Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Evolution

If you read my religion post, you know I am a christian. Unlike some christens, however, I believe in evolution.
I t makes a lot of sense if you think about it, especially in the mind. Different emotions or feelings are caused by basic needs. Hate is to keep the population in check. Curiosity is so we keep innovating. The idea of physical beauty is so we are attracted to mates with useful physical aspects.
 Evolutionary scientists have found that almost all attractive traits have some function in primitive life. For example, muscular males are thought to be more attractive than skinny ones (Such as myself) because their muscles would help them hunt for food. However, whoever devised this system (God) wanted to make sure that more than just physical traits were put into perspective. Let me give you an example.
There is a girl in my L.A. class (Enriched) wrote an amazing story and for months I had a crush on her purely because of that story. I thought that she looked good, but come to think of it, she doesn't look any better than the average teenage female. That's the system at work. My brain noted a good aspect about her (Writing) and memorized her appearance, then altered my idea of what physical beauty is to fit her description.
It works with other mental aspects too. I don't think that anyone can claim to be innocent of making an assumption about someone purely on their physical appearance. However when I note a good trait about that person, that assumption goes away. It works with both the opposite and same sex even if you are straight (By the way, I am not anti-gay, a note for future reference). It's like what Jacob Lawrence said, "Ugly is how someone acts, not how they look".
By the way, I will probably be posting a report on Jacob Lawrence for frequent readers who don't know who he is because I talk about him a lot.

1 comment:

  1. that's a great theory! I am the same way.

    ReplyDelete