Sunday, April 17, 2011

Religon

My post is about religion, an more specifically Doubting Thomas and Peter.
They are my two favorite disciples because they are the most prominent characters in the bible that screw up.
I hate it how they got branded as the bad disciples. Thomas got "Doubting" put in his name, and I bet everyone who reads passages about Peter are secretly thinking about how bad he messed up, always saying the wrong thing. But would you do any better?
First, consider the fact that Jesus wasn't really his own religion back then. He was just a jew with very captivating ideas. I doubt that the disciples really believed in their hearts that he was really the son of god until he had risen from the dead. But before then you wouldn't act all righteous and good around him like most christians today would if they met him. You just act like your very imperfect self.
Lets look at Peter for a second. His biggest mistake was denying he knew Jesus three times to save his own life. If my life was at stake, I would, and so would most of the people I know, if not all of them.
And now with Thomas. He doubted Jesus's  self-resurrection, right? Well say you know someone you know has just been killed, you want to talk to him. You want to say good-bye to him. You want him to stay alive, if possible. But you can't believe it, because it is physically impossible for it to be true. So when your friend say they saw him, would you believe them? Would you dare to believe that he could be alive?
I like them because unlike other disciples, the are neither hidden from text nor seemingly perfect. They are human, and they make very human mistakes, but in the end they did the right thing, spreading the word of god. The only disciple I don't really like is Judas, but I don't think he deserves to go down in the ages as some character parallel to satan. He screwed up, and repented later. He made a very human mistake. And I don't recall anywhere in the text Jesus swearing vengeance at him, so I assume he was forgiven. plus, counting Jesus, he was the thirteenthj disciple, which is never good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment