Thursday, April 21, 2011

Seder

I have just gotten back from a seder, in my opinion the best religious service ever. There are readings from the bible and hymns and stuff like that, but a lot of it is ceremonial, and the ceremony is fun. You get paid for finding hidden Matza bread and there is sword-fighting with vegetables. The one I went to was adapted to the christian tradition and involved "Checking for Jesus" outside the door. Sadly, Jesus was not there. Only heavy rain.
the only part I didn't like was the children asking questions. I assumed that that meant the children debating different philosophical issues. Instead it was me asking "Why do we normally sit up straight when tonight we recline".
I don't want to anger any people who hold this tradition dear, but I was kind of upset because I am really good at debating that stuff. All I got was scripted questions and answers. In a way it made no sense.
 And in a way it made all the sense in the world.
You can debate and debate and each time find an answer (Maybe). But this is supposed to be the same. It is supposed to be a tradition. If it were discussions, then year  after year you may start getting the same answer. But this is supposed to be something to remember year after year. It's supposed to be ceremonial, just like the vegetable sword fighting. It represents the curiosity of young minds and the wisdom of older ones. And the questions are already answered anyways, so what's the point of a debate?
And if you get invited to one, I strongly suggest you go.

1 comment:

  1. Really good point about the scripted question and answer vs. debate John.
    There is a time and place for debate. And, personally I think debate and discussion helps deepen our faith.
    But in this context - I do think there is something meaningful about the repetition of the same questions and answers. As you say: this is about remembering. And so on these nights, everyone celebrating a Sedar asks and answers the same questions, reminding us of where we came from.
    I'm glad you found the experience a meaningful one.

    ReplyDelete