Sunday, May 1, 2011

Catholisism

I had lunch with a very interesting person today, especially on the topic of religon. I don't know if it would be appropriate to divuldge the name, so for privacy's sake I won't mention it.
Basically, she is a practicing member of the catholic church, which suprised me because of what she said about the catholic church.
I had some missconceptions about the catholic church, one of which is that they can elect the pope (Either in a majority rules way or an electoral college of different regions). The other is that they could have female  preists. Neither of which is true, and my friend not only expressed her annoyence at their sexism and non-demecratic choosing of leaders, she also called the reacher at her church profane and immature. So how could she stay in that denomination?
I don't think that you could really find a flawless denomonation in any major religon. Sure, they may not have completely fair pope decisions and the choice of preists my be sexist, but there are steps being taken to change that. And as for the pastor in her particular church, the entire catholic community can not be blamed for that.
And I'm not catholic. I know very little about their traditions. And while some of them may seem extremely unfair, there must be a redeming quality.
People wouldn't go to their churches for hudereds of years if they weren't doing something right.  

No comments:

Post a Comment