Sunday, May 15, 2011

Hell

I do not believe in hell.
In many ways it is illogical, why would a fair god give a person an eternity of pain and suffering for only a life time of evil deeds? If you look at how long your life is compared to how long the earth has been around. Our 114 year maximum seems miniscule compared to the billions of years that our planet has existed. What could someone possibly do to deserve never-ending pain?
The only reason that I think the whole idea of hell has stayed around is revenge. When someone does something bad to you, whether it's cutting you off or endangering your life, you would be comforted by the idea of them being tortured to an inhuman capacity for all time. But the thing is, very rarely do people consider themselves in hell, only others.
 In my opinion, I do not know what the afterlife holds, but I doubt it includes eternal torture.
One more thing, when people kill a gigantic number of people, normally they think it is for the greater good, or they are insane, or both.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you. I think you're right that hell is a revenge fantasy. But I have come to the conclusion that revenge is always a fantasy. There is no real revenge. The revenger always suffers. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete