Friday, May 27, 2011

humility

Sleep is a weird thing. The more effort you put into trying to achieve it, the harder it is. To truly achieve it you have to be apathetic about wanting it. And even weirder are dreams.
I know someone who claimed that whenever he dreamed, he was aware of it and could change it however he wanted, so he had his own little world for 45 minutes of the night. To me, dreaming and knowing it is a terrifying experience. To know the world around you is not real, but rather you are inside your own head, freaks me out. Twice I tried changing everything in my dream. For a split second I felt like a god in my own head, they my world came crashing down and I woke up.
I guess no one can really be god, even in their own heads. No person has complete control, but we enjoy an illusion of control. I think that is why Jesus preached humility. Not that he necessarily needed to be humble, but he had to show people how to act by setting an example. We can't have true control, which is why we need to stay humble. In my experience, it is the humble that succeed. The ones with the largest illusions of control come crashing down, just like my dream.

1 comment: