Saturday, May 28, 2011

people

There is a comic book series I am reading called the full metal alchemist. In it, it lists the materials that are used to make up a person. It is really surprising that that is all we are, scientifically speaking. so my question is, if we had all those materials, could we make a human being completely artificially?
My answer is no. Not for a religious reason, that it would be wrong to play god (Because that never stopped us before), nor a scientific reason that we would have to make trillions of cells artificially out of nothing more than a pile of materials, which is virtually impossible, but a completely different reason.
Again, I will approximate a quote (Because I don't own the comic book). I think the quote goes something like this "For thousands of years alchemists have been trying to make humans out of those materials that can be bought by a child allowance, but we can't. There is a missing element, something we don't know about yet".
I do not think that it is possible for people to make other people (Other than the natural way) because something is missing. We are more than just a bunch of material (Mostly water). And if said I found out what that missing piece was, I would be either be super-intelligent or lying (Most likely the second).
Oddly enough, the rest of the chapter is about a priest tricking the townspeople into blindly following him and doing whatever he says because of empty  promises to them. To many people it sound appalling, but if you look at the history of christianity, it's nothing new.

No comments:

Post a Comment